Monday, June 28, 2004

I Dream of Jeannie: a TV Show I Used to Dig

When I was in the second or third grade, Gate, I used to be hooked on two shows: Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. I'm sure they were in the first session of re-runs, as NASA and astronauts were kind of humdrum by the early 70s.I think Bewitched may have run into the early 70s. Anyway, I was a big fan and although I didn't latch on to this at the time, each show was what I'd call a "reality-plus" show. Typical, normal people interacting with something/someone that was completely a-typical ... being married to a sexy witch or having a hot female ginie living in your bachelor pad. These two shows are very typical of late 60s/early 70s thinking somehow.

But leave us return to IDoJ, Gate and dig of this: Like many cats, I Jeannie's bottle was something someone at the studio had created in the prop studio ... someone who was a glassblower or whose cousin Louie was a glassblower ... essentially, an in-house, one of a kind creation. Well, I was wrong, Gate. Jeannie's bottle was handpainted in the prop studio, but the bottle itself was a 1964 Jim Beam bottle! You can still turn these up in antique stores or on eBay. Here's a paint-by-number guide in case you'd like to have a Jeannie bottle in your own bachelor pad ... Barbara Eden not included, alas!