Tuesday, November 29, 2005

In Which the Promised Snow Does Not Fall

Where is the seven inches of snow that was promised us? Absolutely nowhere.

This weekend I felt utterly lethargic and lacking any motivation to do anything. I spent the time leafing through old issues of The Craftsman magazine, my Harrison Fisher books and a swell book on 1930's London, but I did not: work on my monologues, write emails, update my blog or any of the other things I had placed on my "to do" list.

Sunday afternoon, though, I did rouse myself out of my lethargy and go over to Port Townsend. My purpose was two-fold. First, Jace had bought some candles from our store which were manufactured in PT. She needed more and we were not in a position to place a direct order with the company and our distributor had dropped them, so we were unable to order them. Since PT is practically around the corner from where I live, I said I'd go over and pick up the other set of candles from the company's shop. Second, I hadn't been to PT in quite a while, so it was time for a visit.

It was a good thing I did visit PT because I ran into my friend Karen at the antiquarian bookstore. Karen had been away for several months recovering from injuries sustained in a car accident. It was good to see her again and learn that she's recovered fully. She asked if I'd be interested in trading the duplicate Edward Gorey first editions I didn't sell at my little venue at Retroville for some Roycroft books. Naturally I said yes.

I bought some books while I was in PT and I'll post a list of those later.

Last night I met up with Erin and Matt at Peake's. I rather like Peake's as it is the direct opposite of Michael's but equally cool. It is a working class bar serving their own brews and a variety of connoisseur beers from small breweries in the area. There's a mix of beer snobs and people drinking Bud, everyone minds their own business, plays pool or darts and drinks beer.

Erin told me that the Snooty Server has quit. No one is too surprised as she was one of the weakest servers and her hours being cut back. The Snooty Server has got a job at the Garden Cafe and she can promenade around at let others pick up the pieces after her over there. It will be interesting to see if her boyfriend, the head chef, decides to decamp ... he got so lackadaisical that he was taken off salary and put on hourly wages. And speaking of him, Erin said that he and the young kitchen manager are really irritating the servers, with the exception of the Snooty Server, to the point where many of them are taking lots of time off ... and possibly seeking other jobs in the meantime. Well!

Matt arrived and after a bit Erin had to leave to visit a hamster (I kid you not) and Matt and I spent the remaining time, about two hours, talking. The one thing about Peake's is they close the place down early and make no bones about wanting you to leave. Not that they're rude or abrupt, but you get their point. So at ten o'clock the bartender unlocked the door and let us out. We walkied back to my car and it seemed like it would snow, but it never did.