Monday, August 29, 2005

Further Adventures In Dentistry

Devoted Readers will have already noted that I am celebrating the second week of having a new porcelain crown on my lower right canine tooth. At first it looked and felt odd, this alien thing epoxied into my jaw. Now, thanks to the passage of time ... mere weeks! ... it looks and feels like its been there forever. Funny how that works.

Today I went back to the dentist for a comprehensive exam. Modern dentistry really is a marvel. I expected some lengthy and tedious procedure and what I got was a lot of digital photography. The technician used a wand like device to take a digital photo of each tooth. There were two problem teeth, my upper wisdom teeth, which, in order to obtain a good image, I was forced to open my jaws to their maximum while having a dental mirror wedged into the far back reaches of my mouth while the photo-wand-thingie was also within the vacinity. All I can say is that it truly is amazing how the gag reflex works. All the same, a photo was taken of each problem tooth and the whole experience was over quickly.

Then my dentist came in to analyze the images. It turns out he is an avid bicyclist and our conversation turned to bicycling and some of the local bicycle trails which, I must admit, I've been interested in exploring. "If you'd ever like to go bicycling, let me know!" he said. I don't know about you, Devoted Reader, but that's the last thing I'd ever expect my dentist to say. And I must say, for dentists I picked at random at the height of abcessed tooth induced agony, I picked well. These are very, very nice people.

Next I go to look at a computer monitor and see each of my teeth. There is, naturally, good news and bad news. The good news is that my teeth are nowhere near as bad as I had expected (and truly, I expected the worst) and the bad news is that I do need some fillings. Oh, and I have to have a metal filling from years ago taken out and a post and crown as a replacement. Oh, and I have to have those two problem wisdom teeth removed. Other than that, really, everythingis fine!

So two weeks from today I go back and have an hour and a half drill-and-fill session. I'm going to put off the wisdom teeth removal until the spring. My bank account needs to seriously recuperate from all this expense.

In other news, I have been asked to participate in the Dramatic Circle involving Jace, Rose and Jeremiah. Jace is directing Rose and Jeremiah in scenes and monologues of Tom Stoppard. I've never done anything like this, but it sounds like fun and Rose and Jace were both very enthusiastic about my joining in. Swellegant!