Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Mercury In Retrograde

I'm not sure if Mercury truly is in retrograde at the moment, but that's a convenient way to explain my feelings of lethargy, disinterest and general ennui. It's not that I've been in a bad mood lately, I haven't been in any mood at all. I've been this way for the last four or five days and now this disinterestedness seems to be passing away.

Not that it hasn't been an uneventful four or five days:

As The IBB Turns: One of the bakers quit in the middle of her shift yesterday. The other baker is on a two week vacation out of state. Who will bake the rolls and pastries now? Well, who cares? is apparently the Queen Bee's attitude. The morning barista informed the Queen Bee that she no longer wants to be caught up in the drama and the politics of the Hive, she just wants to do her job and go home. That's a reasonable enough request, but the Queen Bee loves to have drama going on at all times. I noticed the "For Rent" sign is off the proposed coffeehouse building. At the rate the IBB is going, they won't even last until November when the proposed coffeehouse opens.

The Perils of Journalizing: So there I was, at my reserved half-table table and uncomfortable metal stool at the IBB, going to write something vitally important in my journal when I discovered that my felt tip pen didn't work. Not that it stopped working ... it was a new pen ... it didn't work. I was given a ball point pen to use, but it wasn't the same. I went up to the local drug store and purchased a rollerball pen only to re-discover why I hate rollerball pens. They are supposed to mimic fountain pens but, having a fountain pen, I can assure you that they are extremely cheap immitations of what a fountain pen should do. So I fulminated about this situation for a while. Later in the morning I went across the alley and purchased two felt tip pens ... which I made sure worked ... and, well, what a difference a decent pen makes!

Contra Temps:Teresa of the Bag Manufacturers informed me that her father announced over the weekend that he is no longer keeping daylight savings time.