In Which I Make a French 75
So I was to go in for two hours to get some more behind the bar experience. My understanding was that since I didn't have my alcohol awareness card I couldn't make any cocktails. I ended up staying for four hours and I made five cocktails, card or no card.
I'm still learning but, as I learn by doing rather than simply watching, I'm picking it up pretty quickly. The first thing I learned was: when in doubt, put ice and cold water in the glass and let it chill. Then I can hunt up the necessary ingredients and the proper glass. For mixed drinks we use a Boston shaker and it's rather fun to shake up a cocktail to the thirty count and feel the stainless steel get colder and colder as you go. I quickly figured out how to pour the drink out of the Boston shaker while keeping the ice to a minimum. Don't ask me how I do this, it's just one of those things. I'm still a little confused about the count ... whether I'm pouring enough or too much. It all looked right and I had compliments from everyone who had one of my cocktails. All in all it was rather fun and M. said I was doing great.
Other fun things I did included: wiping spots off the glasses, wiping down the bar several times, going around the tables and pouring water, heating up cups for coffee and filling up a carafe of water. Frankly, the time just flew right by.
So for the Devoted Reader (you know who you are) keeping count, I've made: one French 75, two martinis, a cosmopolitan and a 151 & Coke.

<< Home