Sunday, May 22, 2005

Impressions From Behind the Bar

No, not "From Behind Bars." I mean "From Behind the Bar."

First of all, in the restaurant business you are either doing some mundane task like folding napkins or wiping the glasses or five parties walk in at once all wanting food and drinks at the same time and you are insanely busy.

Secondly, the lighting, during the dinner hours, is dim. This type of lighting is known as atmospheric and lends a certain sense of ambience and j'ne'sais quois to the dining experience of the guests. For the bartender, that's me, this lighting is known as dark and lends a certain sense of confusion when you're trying to read the tiny text on a bottle of wine. Is this a merlot or a cabernet? The bottle feels full, yet there's no wine pouring ... oh, that's because there's a cork in it. I am developing the ability to read in near-darkness.

Thirdly, I am either a natural at this or people haven't a clue what they're drinking. I am certain that I am overpouring. I suppose a strong drink is better than a weak one, still I suspect most people aren't highly critical of their cocktails.

Fourthly, "You work here, too!" is becoming a common exclamation from people I know from other venues. Some people like Kim and Jason I know from upstairs. Other people, like the guy who said "Hey, it's one of my best customers!" while vigorously pumping my hand, I have to try and place. In these situations it's always best to smile and say "Hey, good to see you!" which is what I did. Later I realized he is the owner of the gas station.

Fifthly, there's a moment when it all makes perfect sense and the confusion concerning counts, ingredients, which glass to use and where the hell is that bottle of cointreau is dispelled and you make a cocktail quickly and efficiently and have it waiting for the server who seems to be lagging behind and wouldn't it be faster if you took it to the table yourself? That moment happened this Friday night. Suddenly I it all just came together and I making Lemon Drops and Margaritas and Manhattans ... and it just made perfect sense.