Saturday, April 23, 2005

Back To The Books

I've no doubt that you're agog with curiosity about those three Mosher books that arrived earlier this week. I would be, were I you! Although I was a bit sodden with martinis, I was not so far gone as to be unable to appreciate the beauty of these Mosher books as I removed them from their packaging (unlike the time previous when I received three other Mosher books and was so thoroughly spifflicated it was all I could do to look at each volume a giggle). One book in particular, Mimes by Marcel Schwob, has to be the prettiest book in my Mosher collection.

Hand and Soul, by Dante Gabriel Rossetti, published by Thomas B. Mosher, 1900.
This is the second edition of Hand and Soul, one of 450 copies and part of the Miscellaneous Series in the Mosher catalogue. A 16mo, blue paper over cardboard covers, white paper labels and the original glassine wrapper. This is another emulation by Mosher of William Morris's Kelmscott style and, as you can see in this illustration, it's quite beautiful.

Mimes, by Marcel Schwob, translated by A. Lenalie, published by Thomas B. Mosher, 1901.
Unlike most of Mosher's other publications, Mimes had the full approval and co-operation from the author. It's a stunningly beautiful book, small quarto, paper wrapper, gold and lavender cover decoration in a gorgeous Art Nouveau style, red and black typography and decorations. Here's an illustration of the cover, designed by Earl Stetson Crawford. A lengthy introduction, a bibliography of Mimes and a biographical note round out the edition which was also part of the Miscellaneous Series and printed in a limited edition of 500 copies on hand-made Van Gelder paper.

Virginibus Puerisque, by Robert Louis Stevenson, published by The Roycrofters, 1903.
Robert Louis Stevenson is primarily known for his juvenile adventure stories, but he was also a serious essayist. Among his essays, Aes Triplex, Father Damien, An Apology For Idlers and Virginibus Puerisque, a four part essay on love and marriage, were the best known of his time and deserve a wider audience today. R.L.S. is nothing if not brilliant. This volume is up to the usual standards of Elbert Hubbard's Roycrofters. Limp suede cover in red, yapped edges, gorgeous hand-made paper with the Roycroft watermark visible complimenting the Morris-like typography.