Exposed To the Elements, I Expose Film Photographically
Earlier this morning the sun appeared through the slate gray, low-hanging clouds and I loaded up my two newly acquired box cameras as well as the equally newly-acquired Brownie Hawkeye Flash with 120 film and headed out to shoot some test film. There were some things and places I wanted to take photos of that I felt would look especially nice done with the large-negatived box cameras.
First stop was the local water tower a mere stones through from Casa del Mysterioso. (alright, several stones throws. But not many!) Each camera got it's chance at the water tower ... so something should be good ... and I realized that I may have dressed a little too lightly for the way the weather was shaping up. A cold wind was picking up and it was beginning to lightly rain. Anyone else might have returned home (home, as I've mentioned being only a few stones throws from the water tower) and got a heavier coat. But not I. Onward I went to Tribal Center which is too far away to attempt throwing stones at it. From the highway there's a certain part of the rennovated creek that looks really photographic. As luck would have it, I discovered that this photographic sweet spot is, in fact, located on the highway and not from the water front trail's bridge. Having trudged from my parked car all the way to this particular spot I was cold and miserable from the ceaseless chilling wind. I trudged back to my car still cold and miserable, perhaps even more so.
From the Tribal Center I went to a wonderful abandoned house that's visible from the highway. It's is equally photographic when you're off the highway. All three cameras got a shot or two of the abandoned house so, once again, something good ought to come out of those.
It was still cold and miserable. Leaving the abandoned house, I ended up in beautiful downtown Sequim, where the elite meet when they've nothing better to do. The elite were not meeting today or, if they were, they were cleverly incognito. At any rate, I ended up around the Dungeness area and stopped at the old school house and photographed that and then went across the street to Nash's Farm and photographed an old pick up that slowly falling apart. I was not unaware that it was still cold, windy and no less miserable than before. Fortunately I had expended all my film so I headed for home.
There are two morals here: if you take three cameras and photograph the same thing with each one, you are bound to end up with a useable photograph. Secondly, given the unpredictable nature of weather, it might be wise to bring a heavier coat.

<< Home