Envy

Envy. This is a wonderful staged photograph that transcends being merely posed and stagey and becomes something entirely rich and strange, to quote Shakespeare, by the smile of the young lady of the far left. While the other three young ladies are looking suitably envious, especially the young lady in the middle, the young lady on the far left has a wonderful smile of delight, as if it were not in her nature to be at all envious. I'm not sure what the guy is up to ... the glasses, that expression. I mean ... huh?
I purchased this wonderful photograph in Port Townsend yesterday, along with a portrait of a oyung lady from 1928 and a marvellous 8x10 glossy photo of a soda fountain in Seattle circa 1920. The name of the soda fountain is, alas, unknown, but what a place it must have been. Tiled floor, chrome and leather seats, solid wood counter, the ceiling lamps, the decor. Wow!

<< Home