Saturday, June 18, 2005

Root Canalville and Other Recent Experiences

On Monday I had my first appointment with the dentist. He took one look at my canine tooth, the one that was troubling me, and said "You'll need a root canal. Here's a prescription for penecillin and I'll see you tomorrow." Well, he wasn't as blunt as that. In fact, the entire staff was very, very nice. The office is fairly new, done up in the modern-Craftsman style with reproduction Stickley furntiure and fixtures in the lobby. For a dentist I picked at random, I did well. After my brief session with the dentist I went to pick up my presrcitption for penecillin and went home to rest. I had to idea how debilitating pain can be. Pain can be very exhausting.

On Tuesday I had my first root canal session. Since the nerve had died on Thursday/Friday he didn't use any novocaine ... he picked up his drill and began clearing the tooth and, sure enough, I didn't feel anything. He cleaned out the roots of the tooth, put in a temporary filling and then told me to keep taking the penecillin and he'd see me again on the 29th when he'd put in the crown.

The IBB is no longer the hang out of choice for us. After getting some of the worst coffee I've ever had from the nitwit manager, I've taken up residence at the OCH and brought Mrs. Psmith and her posse along. M. is so bummed out about everyone leaving the IBB that he's drifting around, getting coffee here and there. The IBB, I've noticed, is no longer the hive of activity it once was and who do they have to blame but themselves and the way they treated their staff.

The OCH is very nice, with a very comfortable couch and other seats. Even if Hollywood Brian is around, he's usually so into watching the muted TV that one hardly notices him. I realized one could actually have a conversation there or even read a book. I've met the glum barista and she's not so bad ... not terribly forthcoming, but not bad.

There are pirates in town! Some of them, especially the pirate girls, look pretty darn cool. I don't know whose bright idea it was to charge to get on the pier and then charge again to get on the Lady Washington, but that's going to drive business away. For those who wish to follow in the piratical footsteps of Calico Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny or Henry Morgan, you can take this quiz to discover your Pirate Name.