In Which I Venture Out to Buy Books
Greetings, Gate!
Now then, let's see where we stand. The temperature dropped to a chilly 43 degrees and a petulant rain fell in dismal showers as the wind blew in fitful gusts. Then went I to Port Townsend to buy books.
First stop Insatiables, run by my friend K. Insatiables is not merely a used bookstore, it is a rare bookstore. Books from the early 1900s, for the most part. Illustrated books by Harrison Fisher, Charles Dana Gibson and Maxfield Parrish regularly appear in her store. Books by the Roycrofters and by Thomas B. Mosher, as well as vintage children's books, books on the Pacific Northwest and the Yukon and a vast array of other subjects. For a tiny space, K. little store is loaded with books, well displayed and orderly. You could literally spend hours there, and I have. I also had a list of books I wanted her to be on the look out for.
So today I picked up:
Three prints by Harrison Fisher circa 1900s.
"That Reminds Me" published by George W. Jacobs & Co. 1905
The Bibelot, volumes 12, 13 and 15. published by Thomas B. Mosher, 1909
A Song of Italy. Algernon Swinburne, published by Thomas B. Mosher, 1905, number 85 of 100 editions.
The Soviet Political Poster, 1917 to 1980. published by Penguin Books, circa 1980.
From Insatiables, it was over to William James bookstore. WJ has first editions, too, but they tend to be spendy. They still have that copy of Harrison Fisher's American Beauties which I am drooling over. Anyway, I picked up:
The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker
The Abysmal Brute by jack London
Death of a Nationalist by Rebecca Pawels
The Clue of the Caribbees by T.S. Stribling
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Not bad for an afternoon.

<< Home