Friday, January 14, 2005

A Variety of Observations

Jack, ask me if it was cold today. "Was it cold today?" Yes, it was cold! At least the sun was shining, ineffectually, but shining all the same. I'll take cold and sunny over cold and snowing any day.

I'm very paranoid about leaving my car's headlights on. Take today, for instance. I left home for work this morning in a hurry, realizing that I had less than an hour to get into Beautiful down town P.A. Despite the sunshine, sensible morning commuters had their headlights on. But I didn't ... or did I? Because my routine was slightly disturbed, I wasn't really sure if I'd had my lights on or not. Nearly two hours later I was so unsure about whether I'd left my lights on or not that I went back to my car to settle the matter once and for all. This is not an unusual situation as I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night wondering if I've turned my headlights off and trek out to the garage in search of the answer. I've never once left my lights on.

So I got to re-experience the cold as I went back to my car. Fortunately I followed L's advice to wear my overcoat. Along the way I met up with Mr B. who was walking his dog whose name, I believe, is Riley. We exchanged greetings. There you go!

Later in the day I was helping an older woman who I assumed was Japanese. She asked me if I was married and I said no, I wasn't, but I was looking to correct that situation. She asked me how old I was and I told her. "That good for you," she said. "Younger girls like older men. You do fine." I can only hope so!

The other day I was behind a car which had a bumpersticker on it which read:

Save a cow, Eat a vegetarian.

Now there's a basic element of logic which seems to me is being violated here. We asked to save a cow by eliminating a person who doesn't eat cows. If we eliminate the vegetarian, the cow is still prey to carnivores. How, then, is eliminating the vegetarian saving a cow? It isn't. A bumpersticker which read:

Save a cow, Eat a carnivore

would make much more sense, but anti-vegetarianism seems to be the message the bumpersticker is promoting. As my friend K. might say "What the f---, idiot?"