John Barleycorn
It's been a long week for us at work. One of our co-workers had to leave suddenly due to a family emergency in Califronia and we're all picking up her hours.
Yesterday being freight day, and freight day is a hectic day on it's own, I went downstairs and had a proper lunch (usually I have a vegan cookie and a double shot espresso for lunch) and chatted with S. and C., two of the lovely servers. A week previous I had a rather peculiar and tipsy conversation with S. diring which she got rather maudlin and not only maudlin, but oblivious to what I was trying to say to her. It was definitely odd. I think that she was sad and lonely and had one drink too many. Anyway, the afternoon's chat was much better, though she's still rather limited in her conversation range. So, after a huge lot of freight, I suggested to D. that we go downstairs after work and partake of a restorative cocktail. K. and her husband had previous commitments so they bowed out. And - look out, Jack! - we had Mr. 5:59, Slow Boy himself, arrive and stand in the aisles puzzling over something. D. and I left K. to deal with Slow Boy at gone 6.00 of the post meridian and went downstairs.
Upon arriving at the favoured watering hole, we met up with the lovely C. Now C. is the girlfriend of J. who left upstairs to go into construction. D. disappeared with his cell phone leaving C. and I to talk. We had a very intersting chat about art, fashion (low heels are in, Gate), the ring she designed and politics. I think we really hit it off. Now C. and J. have a rocky relationship and this came out when she made a phone call home and got the "I'm home and why aren't you here to make my dinner" routine. Apparently C. is very sick of J. and the lack of respect, not to mention the lack of commitment and said to me "I'm very close to packing up and going to Seattle." Wow! Some guys are thoroughly oblivious to what good fortune they have.
In other news: It turns out that R. has British parents, too. We've chatted about this and our on-again-off-again accents. Fun!

<< Home