Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Gorey Details

Recently I received a letter fromA Devoted Reader who asks the following:

"Dear Gate,

I've noticed a paucity of posts regarding new additions to your Edward Gorey collection. Could it be you have moved on to other collecting venues? Say it ain't so, Gate!

Sincerely,

A Devoted Reader"

Well, latch on lads and lasses while I fill you in on the latest Gorey lowdown:

The Gorey Details ~ Toward the end of his life, Edward Gorey returned to his first interest, the theatre. He wrote and produced a number of small productions but his final theatrical work was The Gorey Details in which his numerous stories came to life on the stage. What I have is a publicity folder for this production. It consists of: a black paper folder with a copy of the theatre poster on the front cover. Inside are several xeroxed copies of press material on Gorey and the production, a bookmark and a copy of Playbill. Incredibly rare!

The Shrinking of Treehorn, Florence Parry Heide & Edward Gorey, 1971 Holiday House, 1st
Treehorn's Treasure, F.P. Heide & Edward Gorey, 1981 Holiday House 1st? ex library
Treehorn's Wish, F.P. Heide & Edward Gorey, 1984, Holiday House 1st, ex library

The Treehorn books are marvelous and Gorey's drawings compliment Florence Parry Heide's droll, deadpan story. The Shrinking of Treehorn is missing half of its dustjacket, sadly, but otherwise in fine shape and Treehorn's Treasure and Treehorn's Wish are both ex library copies with all that implies. Still, it's hard to find these books as hardbacks.