I'm (not) With the Governor
On my way home from work this afternoon I decided to drop in at the Democratic campaign headquarters and pick up a couple of Kerry/Edwards buttons. I've been meaning to do this for a while now but either they're closed when I go by or there's so much traffic behind me that it's a nuisance to try and get into their tiny little parking lot. So they're open and I decided to park around the corner at the realty office on the other side of the alley.
As I walk around the corner and look in through the windows I see our state Governor talking to a small group of people. When I get to the front door there's one of the Governor's body guards there.
"It is okeh if I go inside?" I asked.
"Sure, go ahead." said the body guard.
So I went in and stood by this little desk next to the door. The Governor was in the middle of the room talking about something with eight or ten people around him. A woman gets up from a desk across the room and comes up to me.
"Are you with the Governor?" she asks.
Now this struck me as really odd because I'm not wearing a suit, just Docs, black Levis, polo shirt and irredescent sharkskin jacket and my hair's a mess from being blown about in the wind.
"No," I said. "I'd like to get some campaign buttons."
"Okeh. Well, why don't you go over and say hello to the Governor." she said.
So I go over and join the edge of the crowd.
A woman turns to me and says "Are you with the Governor?"
"No," I said. "I'm not."
The Governor finishes his remarks and then a fellow with a camera says to me "Are you with the Governor?"
"Um, no." I said.
The Governor is doing some hand-shaking and he gets around to me. "Hello!" he says, "how are you?"
"Fine, thanks." I said. What else is there really to say?
So, no, I'm not with the Governor, but I did shake his hand.

<< Home