Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Gorey Collection Expands

Greetings, Gate and a Happy Solstice to you. We've reached the bottom and the only way to go is up.

I'm drinking a chamomile tea with valerian, hops and peppermint. It's supposed to help one sleep. We'll see how it works. It tastes better than I had expected it to, which can only be a bonus.

I was caught in a waitress wars at lunch this afternoon. R. poached me from D. apparently. I had no idea what was going on, but I could put and two together from the way they were absolutely avoiding any kind of contact or communication with each other. M. invited me to their employee party this evening but I'm scheduled to open the store again tomorrow, so I had to pass.

Let's get on with the Gorey:

Yesterday brought two new additions to my Edward Gorey collection:

The Black Doll, A Silent Film by Edward Gorey, 1st edition, Gotham Bookmart, 1973. That Gorey was influenced by silent films is evident in The Willowdale Handcar (which was dedicated to Lillian Gish) and The Eleventh Episode, clearly a parody on Pearl White's exploits. It's not surprising that he would write the screenplay for his own silent film and The Black Doll is the result. While I haven't read it in it's entirety, it's typically Gorey.

The Pointless Book, or, Nature & Art by Garrod Weedy, 1st edition, 1993, Fantod Press. Garrod Weedy is, of course, an anagram for Gorey himself. This tiny book is divided into two sections, Nature and Art. Each section is filled with small frames enclosing ... scribblings. Typical of Gorey's mordant humour.