Seattle's Smith Tower
I collect old postcards of downtown Seattle and I have a fair sized collection. Nearly all the postcards feature the Smith Tower. Seattle has changed a lot over the years, especially in the last twenty to twenty-five years. Before Microsoft and Starbucks, Seattle was still a blue collar, industrial-port city and the skyline reflected that. Until 1969, the tallest building in down town Seattle was the Smith Tower, in fact it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi until the early '60s.
For some reason the proximity of the Smith Tower to Pioneer Square escaped me. It's literally a block away. On my last visit to Seattle I was at the corner of Pioneer Square itself, by the totem pole, and I looked back up Yesler to Second Street and there was the Smith Tower! The next time I go to Seattle I'll take the time to walk the extra block and have a look at the Smith Tower properly.
Latch on to the nifty link above, Gate, for more information on the Smith Tower!

<< Home