Sunday, August 15, 2004

My Further Exploits

Greetings, Gate, how's the Vout?

T'other day I was in the IBB, scene of recent controversy-o-roonie, and talking with M. The converstaion turned musical and M. was of the opinion that the beach Boys were musically superior to the Beatles. I was forced to disagree with him and said that the Beatles were vastly superior musically ... now dig this: the Beach Boys music all sounds pretty much the same. If you've heard one Beach Boys song, you've heard them all, Gate. The same themes, the same vocal harmonizing and so they used a theremin once or twice. That doesn't compare to the Beatles who went from a gritty, garage sound in their early recordings, to perfectly crafted pop songs, to lush orchestrations, to tape loops, to complete freak outs ... some times all on the same record. The Beach Boys got a theme and a sound and never went beyond it. The Beatles evolved musically and thematically.

I rest my case, Gate.

Long about the middle of the week a customer said my hair reminded him of someone. Now my hair is fine and straight as a poker. When it gets to a certain length it starts taking on alife of it's own and usually ends up heading skyward. People will frequently remark that I look like John Nance from Eraserhead. Not this cat. He said my hair looked like Lyle Lovett. Me and my celebrity look-a-like hair.