A Post in Which Recent Events Are Related
Greetings Gate!
First of all, Jack, let me lay on you some more Gorey-a-go-go. Recent acquisitions, that is.
Book-wise we have:
The Fatal Lozenge, 1960, Ivan Obolensky, 1st edition.
Ephemera-wise we have:
Two Christmas cards, unsigned, with envelopes, 1977 Gotham Book Mart
One Christmas card done for the New York City Ballet, of which Gorey was a devotee, printer unknown, undated but probably from the late 1970s.
Seven postcards featuring scenes from various Gorey books, 1979.
I'm especially delighted with The Fatal Lozenge, Jack, as its in near-fine to fine condition. This copy has just a touch of edge wear on the spine ... I've seen other copies on eBay and elsewhere that are plenty beat up.
The Christmas cards and postcards are a real coup.
On the subject of Gorey, I'd like to take a moment to say the following, quote: Are you kidding?! unquote. If that poster of the Gashlycrumb Tinies is so "rare" why do I see it listed every week by the same seller? As for actual rarities, why do people insist on starting their auctions impossibly high ... and with a reserve, no less? I realize Leaves From a Mislaid Album is a rara avis, but why start the auction at $249.00 and have a reserve? And I'm afraid that a first edition of The Willowdale Handcar is not worth $175.00 ... maybe $75.00 if it's in fine condition. People get greedy ... it's strictly from nowheresville, Gate.
So people are leaving the restaurant downstairs. W. is going back to Dixie, J. got fired, A., well who knows, but she's not there any more. Apparently there are five positions open. I have to say that I'm not too surprised that J. got the heave-ho ... she's a rather negative person and I suppose this will be more grist for the negativity mill. I'm rather glad I didn't get involved with her after all.
In more interesting news-o-roonie, my friend and former boss, J. said that if I got a glass display case I could sell some antiques from her store. She suggested a couple of places to acquire such and I'll look at anything the Silverdale Antique Mall may have. This would allow me to try out the antiques business in a small way and see if I can't work it into something bigger ... it's also better than sinking a pile of boodle into a store front. So stay tuned, Gate!
I have some books and new cds to review and I hope to do that over the weekend.
Before departing for the nonce, allow me to relate the following to you:
The Democrats are asking Kerry supporters to turn their car headlights on during the day. In responce, the Republicans are asking Bush supporters to turn their headlights off at night.

<< Home